Thursday, June 21, 2012

Toooo Many Choices!

So  I realize I haven’t filled any of you in lately on what has been going on. The short of it: complete INSANITY! Buuut, I’m assuming if you are reading this new little blog of mine you have at least a speck of interest in my personal well being so I’ll give you the little big longer, fuller, and more detailed summary lol!
It all started about 2 weeks ago when I received a call from school A saying they had a job offer for me (me: awesome!)…it’s not exactly what you had applied for (me: ok I can live with that)…..but it is full time! And we think you would love it! (me: OK…what is it?!?!)  They then explained that they would want me to take over the 4 year old preschool in the afternoons and work as a common core standards type of person in the morning (a currently non-existent job that they created for me to make sure I wasn’t going anywhere else until there was another opening). I thought about it for a while and didn’t think this job sounded too bad.
Now fast forward a week to my interview at school B…where I did my student teaching (3 hours from home as apposed to 8 minutes like school A). Not even 12 hours after my interview I receive a call from the principal…and yep, you guessed it, she has job offer #2 for me. First grade with mixed K/1 in the afternoons. Now I realize most of you are thinking this is amazing now you get to pick…I’m think OMG NOW I HAVE TO PICK (insert really freaked out voice here!)
As is this wasn’t bad enough, I talked with both principals and we decided D-day (decision day!) is set for Monday…think…pray…think…cry…pros/cons…go nuts, yep that’s what my week.  Fast forward once more to yesterday…principal from school A calls me again…”we have another offer for you!” You can teach our clove-d garden class (like ½ day Kindergarten) and then help with pulling kids out for differentiated instruction in the afternoon…..job offer #3 (insert Jaws theme track music and increased panic here)
So that’s the last week of my life in a nutshell (ok also coupled with more personal problems…boyfriend of 3 years and I…no longer together)…yeah talk about some major stress!  Some quick background on these schools…I attended school A for 9 years / I taught at school B for 4 months. I know all the staff and faculty at both schools. There is very little salary difference (not even enough to consider). Anndd, school A involves living at home (scary!) and school B involves moving out on my own (equally scary!)
So shoot…what’s your thoughts? What helped you decide? What should I take into consideration….heeelllppp! J

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! First off (((Hugs)))

    I wish I had the difficult choice of which job to choose, there are none here at the moment!

    Which would would make you truly happy? If you could see yourself being in for the future?

    Journey of a Substitute Teacher
    Endless Pinabilitites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! Yikes is right. That does not sound like a fun decision to make at all. So sorry to here about the boyfriend. I think I would make the decision based upon which school I have a future at. Which one will make sure that I have the perfect position for me if not this school year then next school year?

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Misty, think about the future. I will say I got that same phone call from my dream school my first year... "We have a job for you, but not the one you interviewed for." I was a Reading Assistant and taught K-4, the following year I got into a classroom, so it does work out! As little as the assistant job paid, it really did give me a lot of experience with all grades and intensive reading that I never got in my own classroom with just one grade. Definitely do what makes you happy!

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...Sounds like you've got a lot going on! Better than having no options that is for sure... My advice would be to go with what your initial GUT tells you to do. Usually that ends up being the best option! I am interested to see which one you end up choosing...and seeing what you bring to the blogging world! :)

    I'm your newest follower!

    ~Sara~
    Ramblings of a Deaf Ed Teacher's Mind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for all of the great advice! :)

    ReplyDelete