Friday, November 9, 2012

Graph a Sweet Tooth

So I promise I don't completely forget about my blog! I take pictures for it all the time and then get home and don't feel like sitting down to put it on here for all of you!

We use Saxon math at my school and while I really do like the program, and they do incorporate a lot of hands on manipulatives into the program, I absolutely love math and have so many fun ideas floating around inside my little head and tend to think the lessons can get kinda dry after a while. So...needles to say I'm always looking for fun ideas and supplementals to go along with the weeks' lessons.

I MAY have shifted lessons around by a couple of days to make is work just right but what kid wants to graph pattern blocks on Halloween week when they can bring in their trick or treat wrapper to graph instead (and trust me they loved having to write in their planners to eat candy! Haha) Anyways, the kids brought on their candy wrappers from home and we spread them all put and discussed all the different ways we could think of on how to grasp the wrappers and then looked at the pros and cons for each. In the end the kids decided it would be best to graph the wrappers by color and then they went to town. I supplied the kiddos with tape rolls and they worked together as a class to decide where each wrapper went....they even came up with putting in a rainbow row for those that dent fit anywhere else!

Needless to say the kids were ecstatic about the math lesson and it made for great conversation starters while it hung in the hallway!   Below is a picture of the finished product!   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment